1. Be absolutely sincere.
2. Let one - and only one - thought actuate you: the glory of God.
3. Be as willing to have your request denied as granted.
4. Do not become agitated, if you have honestly missed God's first plan. He is considerate and glad to give you another opportunity.
5. Remember, God and His providences lead in only one direction at a time; therefore, never adopt a new course until you feel equally clear to abandon a former one.
6. Always remember that you and your plans are His property. If so, you can afford to be set aside and unused if He can afford it, since your eye is single. The longer the delay, the larger the pay.
7. Be willing to submit your plans to your superiors, yea, to those who are likely to oppose you. If your leadings are wholly of the Lord, they will survive all opposition. The more you are abused, the more you will be used.
8. Rest! If you are wholly His, everything that comes to you is either sent or permitted by Him. If sent, then it is the very best thing that could come. If permitted, He stands ready, if you only believe, to rule and overrule all for your good and His glory.
9. Wait! When you do not know what to do, simply do nothing. Wait till the fog clears away. Do not force a half-open door. A closed door may be providential. Ability to hold still while under pressure gives God and Providence unlimited sway. A "hurry" spirit is always from beneath. "He that believeth shall not make haste." Isiah 28:16
10. Above everything, see to it that all self-interest and self-seeking are gone. Being dead to all things but God will enable one to keep calm and make him responsible as to the outcome.